Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, May 11, 2012

I am going beyond an acceptable measurable amount of slacking

Horrible blogger of the year right here! But that's okay, because it's a nice day outside. I have an extreme love for soup. I can eat soup in almost any weather and any time of year. I also have a moderate obsession with Pinterest. With these two things uniting, I bring you Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Thanks to Pinterest, I found this little gem here at Moms By Heart. I liked that it was simple enough and looked amazingly delish! I also thought how on earth can I make it that much better. So here we go!

You Will Need:
a little olive oil
1 pkg Long Grain Wild Rice
1 cup Shredded Chicken
1/4 cup Diced Onion
2 stalks Celery
1 medium/large Carrot
3 1/2 cups Water
3 Tbs Butter
3 Tbs Flour
1/2 cup Milk
3/4 cup Chicken Stock
1/4 tsp Sage
pepper to taste

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know my ingredient list is like 10 times longer than the original, but that's okay and it's for a good reason. Also, Scott does not like crunchy veggies in his food so I have to make sure the carrots and celery are nice and soft. Hopefully you all have done your mise en place cause we are getting started!

Like usual, I get out that big soup making pot and splishity splash a little olive oil up and get it heating up in there for the veggies. Then I added the onion, carrot and celery.
This looks familiar
I cook that for about 8 to 10 minutes and then I shoved it all to the side of the pot making room to make my cream of chicken soup from scratch... Now if you wanted to be lazy and not as cool, you could just add 1 can of cream of chicken soup now.

Alrighty so melt that butter, add the flour, mixing the two together and cook for about a minute... Slowly add your milk and chicken stock, constantly stirring and incorporating everything together! Sprinkle the sage and a little pepper in there.

Now this is where things get complicated..... Toss in your chicken, wild rice (the seasoning packet too), and the water... Stir it all together.. It should be looking a little like this now
Mmmmmm... Yummy!
Now just let that goodness simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes... Take a fabulous picture of yourself in the meantime...
Not bad for no makeup that day :) 
Get ready! It's time to scoop up that soup and enjoy!

Holy Moly! That looks great!
Close up! Don't you just want to dive right in?
Oh and was this ever some delicious soup! This made about 4-6 servings I'd say... Which was perfect for the two of us... Both got to enjoy big bowls of it and then well Scott had like 2 lunches out of it... No leftovers for this girl... Frowny face! :( That was probably my own fault for not having other meals with a good amount of leftovers for Scott to take to work.......... Next time though..... I'm going to advocate my rights to some leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment